Roundup of Open Data Hong Kong news – 9 May, 2014
Upcoming ODHK events
Tomorrow, Saturday 10 May, 2pm @ JMSC, HKU
As a longitudinal hackathon, Make.03 is more than a weekend sprints, as it plays out over a several weeks. This gives teams a wider selection of tools (e.g. data collection, meet stakeholders, crowd-source translation), and allows for more sustainable projects to be launched. Project teams will be proposed and formed at our launch event on 10 May, at the JMSC media lab at the University of Hong Kong. After the initial meet, we’ll provide a dedicated place and time so teams have at least one touch point per week. Teams will receive support in acquiring, wrangling and presenting data. Other than that, teams are self-organized and can meet up as frequently as they wish.
Facebook event link; Project listings (Sparkboard)
Tuesday 20 May, 7pm in Wan Chai
Our speaker Miss Joey Lam Deputy Government Chief Information Officer (Policy and Community) will discuss what the HK Government is doing with Open Data, the opportunities, the challenges, the roadmap, as well as the outcomes of the recent Data.One competition, and as a special surprise, introduce a new initiative of Government-wide release of PSI. Miss Lam will also be accompanied other OGCIO staff to outreach and discuss with ODHK members.
More info here: http://blog.opendatahk.com/events/meet-21
- Morph – Get structure data out of the web, code collaboration through GitHub. You can also fork scraper from ScraperWiki (thanks Han). Discuss on Fb
- Dat: Git, for data – open source tool that enables the sharing of large datasets, the goal being a collaboration flow similar to what git offers for source code (thanks Han). Discuss on Fb
- Guide: How to produce and use datasets: Lessons Learned – 50 lessons covering just about every topic involving open data. Discuss on Fb
- Talossa: Check it out – some people created a fake country with better open data than Hong Kong. Population: 222, GDP: $842 USD, and they have a wiki and a DATA PORTAL!” (thanks Brett). Discuss on Fb
- Want to join the ODHK Github Group? Email us: email@example.com and we’ll add you.
- Buy Brett’s huge lightweight monitor! $650
What we’re reading
- HK Media Law Guide The updated version of the Hong Kong Media Law guidebook is now available. This book is extremely important for journalists working in HK. The chapters on Access to Information, Official Secrets and Sedition, and Copyright are worth looking at for all open data advocates (thanks Darcy) Discuss on Fb
- Top 4 ways to make use of Open Data “Not a great article, if only for the fact that his ‘top 4 ways to use Open Data’ are actually ’4 quick thoughts about Open Data’… …also If in Doubt, Don’t Do it!” (thanks Rob) Discuss on Fb
- In China, An Open Data Movement is Starting to Take Off – Hong Kong needs to be careful it doesn’t get left behind by the mainland on open, I mean “public data” (thanks Scott) Discuss on Fb
- First Hong Kong Press Freedom Index Announced (Hong Kong Journalists Association) – this index also has a government transparency indicator (thanks Jennifer) Discuss on Fb
- Office of the Ombudsman discloses more information – “it turns out that the Ombudsman, which handles complaints under the Code, is not subject to the Code itself.” (thanks Lynn) Discuss on Fb
From Open Knowledge
- Petition to Stop Secret Contracts
- OKFestival 2014 is coming up
- Launch of a new “Open Sports Working Group” and sports hackdays!
- Open Summer of Code in Belgium open for applications
From Open Data Weekly
- Big data and open data: what’s what and why does it matter?
- Open Innovation to Put Data to Work webcast IBM power systems
- 5 Things You Need to Know about Open Government
- Open Tools and Data for the News – Ken Schwencke State of the map
Other upcoming events
Hacks & Hackers Spring social meet at Beer Bay - Tuesday 13 May, 7pm
Come meet other hacks and hackers and discuss and exchange with media folks, technology specialists, designers and others. Beer Bay is an outdoor drinks counter by the beautiful harbourfront on the ground level near the pier entrance. Event also on Meetup.com
Open Knowledge Community Session with ODHK - Thursday 15 May, 9:00am
ODHK founders Mart & Bastien will be participating in a “community session” Q&A with Open Knowledge (formerly “Open Knowledge Foundation”). More info
CUHK + HKBD: Big Data Insights - Thursday 15 May, 7:15pm
Two speakers with an incredible history of working with the largest companies in Hong Kong and China on big, bold projects. And they have agreed to each come and share their experiences with the Hong Kong Big Data community. More info.
Want to see more events?
Here you go! See calendar of Open Data – relevant events here: http://blog.opendatahk.com/events/
Happy to add your open data-related events.
Photos from our last events
If you haven’t been to one of our ODHK events, come out!
- ODHK.meet.19: LegCo SecGen Kenneth Chen speaking about Open Data and Open LegCo
- ODHK.meet.20: HacKnight